View Single Post
Old 28-01-2011, 12:20 PM   #13
gary tompkins
1/2 man - 1/2 pogo-stick

Bike: M900ie
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon H View Post
Don't I know it!! It isn't just different between carb and IE tanks but not all carb tanks are the same.........

I'm living with "seat mismatch" issue as it's preferable to the "leak enough petrol to BBQ you" issue..........

It's usually only picked up by the anoraks / trainspotters amongst us though...........
Oh I don't know Gordon - even a blind man in a sack would be able to spot that

Maybe you should stick a couple of these on the tank? Could avoid loosing any small children or pet dogs in there.

http://www.zazzle.co.uk/mind_the_gap...95099998901813

[engage anorak mode]

The seat and tank shape changed around year 2000, and effected any carbed or EFI monsters made after that date. Only easy way to avoid gap problems is to fit matched tank/seat combinations, however installing late seats to early frames isn't as straight forward as swapping tanks. The rear frame section and seat latching arrangement changed as well, so it'll need a fair bit of fettling to sort out. Later tanks are easily identified by the shape and size of the knee cut-outs. These are much more rounded on the post Y2K design, where as early monsters have a sharper straight edge at the top. Seat cut-out indent is the less obvious change between the two.

[anorak mode off]

Last edited by gary tompkins; 28-01-2011 at 12:35 PM..
gary tompkins is offline   Reply With Quote