View Single Post
Old 28-01-2011, 11:41 AM   #10
utopia
No turn left unstoned

Bike: M750
Yes, I was aware that there might be an issue with the fit of tank to seat, but I'm not too sure how many variants there are, or which bits go with which.
I've looked at a tank from a slightly older carby monster ('98) and the tank/seat recess was a slightly different shape to my original parts......the front, pointy bit of the seat has a larger radius (about like a £2 coin) on my original, Y2K parts, whereas the earlier parts had a much smaller radius (more like a 1/2p coin).
From what I've seen so far, I think the injection tanks also had the larger radius, so I'm hoping that my seat is the same, but I have yet to confirm that.

ps....just looked again at Capo's recent 'fuel system tech' post and, lo and behold, there is a picture of the pump and tank internals in question.
Also, from the same post, the pump in the injection system delivers fuel to a pressurised chamber (in this case the fuel delivery line) at 3bar, from which excess fuel is discharged back to tank via a pressure control valve. Hence the injection pump operates against a pressure of 3bar the whole time, as opposed to the carby system which presumeably has no control valve and operates at 1bar, ie atmospheric pressure.
This was the reason I was wondering if the injection type pump would run too fast and overheat, though I guess the system should still work unless or until the pump burns out.
I dunno whether this would be the case or not, but either way the pump from a carby system should avoid the problem, I would expect.

I'm still pondering.
utopia is online now   Reply With Quote