View Single Post
Old 27-01-2011, 09:53 AM   #7
Dukedesmo

Bike: M900
My tank was from a 2000 M900ie 'Metallic', here are some pics;

Underside;

Pump clip as seen through filler hole:

Pump, sender & filter;

AFAIK these tanks were made in 2000/2001 for M900ie and are easily spotted by the fact that they are metal, have the large filler cap hole (to get your hands in for servicing) and 4 fuel line connections underneath (flow, return, breather & overflow).

As for the pump overheating, I doubt it as they run constantly anyway using the fuel to cool/lubricate it, and with no pressure build-up I would think it should be less stressed.

Of course the fuel will be swirling around the tank, which it wouldn't with the vacuum pump but I can't see what problem that would cause other than noise - and I seriously doubt I'll be able to hear it when the engine's running.

Other than lack of pressure regulator this is exactly how my 916 works and I've never had any problems with the fuel system on that in 13yrs.

Using a fuel tap isn't a good idea because if it's closed and the pump is pumping that will damage something and with a pumped system when the pump isn't running the fuel won't come out anyway as the outlet from pump and filter sits high in the tank, so you don't need a shut-off valve for when the engine's not running - I'll probably fit some in-line push fit connectors to the fuel lines, the kind that seal when released to make tank removal easier for maintenance/tinkering though.

Dukedesmo is offline   Reply With Quote