View Single Post
Old 02-01-2017, 06:08 PM   #30
350TSS
Too much time on my hands member

Bike: M900
Realising that I would spend an awful lot of time making an aluminium battery box that fitted behind the headstock and it would probably in the end only fit where it touched, I had a re-think. If the battery box was going there why couldn't the coils and relays and fuse box go there as well. The wiring harness would be half the weight if I could do that (but I would have to remake the loom completely and I would also have to protect all the electrical components from water ingress).
This thinking also fitted with my view of what to do with the petrol tank. I had originally envisaged trying to make an aluminium tank (because I had never made one before) but I was not confident of welding 2mm sheet aluminium without it all going into holes or weeping from every seam. Also getting a good finish on the surface of the tank would challenge my panel beating skills beyond what was likely to be possible.
I came up with a design that placed the coils and relays into an enclosure that fitted in the triangle behind the headstock and projected through the lower frame rails. I would then make a lid covering this enclosure upon which I would mount the fuse box. The coil enclosure would project down towards the front wheel spindle about 80mm. The fuse box would be protected by 2 infill panels either side of the head stock. The coil enclosure and the infill panels would be made from carbon fibre.
350TSS is offline   Reply With Quote