Thread: Tyre question
View Single Post
Old 24-06-2019, 09:02 PM   #11
Flip

Bike: M900
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron1000 View Post
3’s! Rather old tech now? Best with 4’s or 5’s
I don't think is all has to do with old or new tech as much as the confidence a tyre can give (or not of course).

All modern rubber is better than most riders can use with any degree of reserve on the road and generally I have found the more track biased a tyre is the worse it can feel due to warm up and more importantly cool down times and that's without the fact that most have near slick edges making them a liability in anything other than bone dry conditions when cornering.

I admit I have got most of the feeling back by a few suspension changes but they still don't feel as nice or confidence inspiring as Pirelli's original Diablo (or Dragon Evo's before those) I had on previously and by today's standard they are proper 'old tech'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alan s4 View Post
Flip- the PR3's had a real issue with front feel, all down to the "sipes". I had exactly the same opinion as you.

Not long after fitting PR3's front and back I had a slow puncture in the front, the new PR4 was available so I fitted that instead. Totally different tyre and much better front end feel.

Still got the PR3 on the rear, 8k and still going strong!
Alan, I think you are the first person to ever say they have had the same feeling about PR3's as me- I didn't know about the issues they suffered from but I wonder if it has something to do with the earlier bikes' geometry- I know the S4 had the ST frame as opposed to the 888 (loosely) based one of the 900 but not too dissimilar (I had an S4 as well for a while on Dragon Evo's) whereas the later bikes may not have been so tyre sensitive or simply the Michelins' suited them better?

Who knows but thanks for the heads up- I may have to go do some burn-outs

Last edited by Flip; 24-06-2019 at 09:04 PM..
Flip is offline   Reply With Quote