Thread: Flaming RR51
View Single Post
Old 22-04-2019, 10:16 PM   #2
Nasher

Bike: M900
Once home the first thing I did was take the battery out, then remove what you see above.

The flames have damaged the front of the airbox, and also bubbled up the paint on the frame, so some extra work required there.

I should have tried the starter motor again, but was too eager to get the battery disconnected, and now of course am wondering if the Sprag clutch has failed and somehow caused overcharging which has wreaked the RR51, although I can’t think how that could happen.

It will be a long day at work tomorrow whilst I’ll be desperate to get home and have another look at the bike.
I want to connect the battery up and check the started motor, and will do some research on what to replace the RR51 with.

I’m not impressed as the one on the bike when I brought it gave up charging 2.5yrs ago and despite what I’d read about their quality I replaced it with the one that has now gone up in flames.

I’ll probably go for a ‘Kato’ Charging system as:
http://www.ukmonster.co.uk/monster/s...ad.php?t=46708
But need to satisfy myself first that I can make it work with the 2-wire charging coils fitted to my bike.

And that starter motor, I need to get the battery back on the bike and try it.
I’ve got our monthly management meeting tomorrow, otherwise I’d be very tempted to pull a sickie!

Nasher.