View Single Post
Old 22-07-2021, 02:39 PM   #1318
350TSS
Too much time on my hands member

Bike: M900
Over the last 5 or 6 months, I have continued to worry the electrics on the Monster, not enough to make them work, but various modifications have been made, none of which resulted in an MOT passable lighting system.
I have come to the conclusion that the problem is the M unit, which is/was defective from delivery, or something I have done over the last 18 months has caused it to go defective. (not entirely impossible because I dropped a 10m deep socket which shorted the battery to the starter solenoid and caused a big flash).
The M unit is supposed to be a) a digital fuse box, b) a relay for every power circuit, c) a flasher can, d) a 16-way connection box, and seems to perform all the desired functions except 1 (enabling the main beam to stay illuminated for longer than 4 seconds).
The unit is fed from a 25 amp fuse between it and the battery via a 6mm cable to an insulated post on one end. The case of the unit is earthed. There are 16 screw terminals, 8 on each side - on the left side they connect to the controlling switch which switches to earth, and on the right-hand side the wires connect to the various components which are then earthed when the component does what it is supposed to.
Yesterday I made a brave decision, given the time I have invested in making the system work, I will scrap the M unit and rewire each circuit.
I do not understand relays or how to wire them so there will be no relays in the circuit. My reasoning for this is that with LED lights throughout there are no circuits that require a heavy current draw (with the exception possibly of the starter motor which has a solenoid to do the heavy lifting and is a mechanical relay anyway and possibly the horn which is a momentary action switch that will only get used once a year at MOT time).
The circuit diagram will be as simple as I can make it. Battery through the ignition switch to a busbar. From the busbar to a fuse box with a fuse for each of the horn, indicators, brake lights, ignition, dip, and main beam with an auxiliary power feed for the neutral light, voltmeter, daylight running lights, rearview camera, and monitor.
All the switches will be inline between the fuse box and the component that the switch controls and the earth will be individual to each component.
Whilst I shall not be starting from scratch the change in configuration and placement of the switches within the architecture of each circuit will effectively be a 60% rewire job.
I have the fuse box and the busbar on order and there could be space constraints as the M unit is very compact and I will have to locate the busbar/fuse box in the same space, currently occupied by the M unit. Nobody said it would be easy.
However, having made the decision I can look forward with optimism and enthusiasm for the project as frankly over the last few months I have not looked forward to working on the bike as I continued to bash my head against a brick wall, not really knowing what I had to do to fix it and going over similar ground with little hope of success.
The bits should arrive just before we go on holiday to Pembroke, so major effort during the remains of August and I may even get out on it this summer.

Last edited by 350TSS; 22-07-2021 at 02:43 PM..
350TSS is offline   Reply With Quote