View Single Post
Old 27-12-2015, 04:50 PM   #6
Mr Gazza
Lord of the Rings

Bike: M900sie
I am blessing the absence of salt and the position of the Jet Stream too.
Yesterday was a mega-bonus....Each new ride is treated like the last one of the season and is enjoyed to the full...Looks like the new year will see it getting colder?

It's not at all unreasonable to assume that salt will make the "pad patch" thing worse, even though the discs are Stainless. They will still have a significant iron content.

I was quite suprised to see my little patches of oxide though, as I had washed with a shampoo and rinsed with cold clear water...Which should both have been free of salts coupled with the salt free roads.

I got to thinking that possibly, maybe, there is a weak galvanic/electrolytic proccess going on? My pads are organic, but I am sure that they do contain metal of some sort. Metal is very evident in sintered pads and looks like copper or bronze or some alloy thereof. But whatever, I bet it's higher up the galvanic scale than the iron in the discs...I wonder?

Makes me wonder if the little springs I once fitted, to push the pads open, might help the "pad patch" thing too? Also thinking I might get the bike up on the front stand and spin the wheel to let the pads wipe the disc before a potential lay up....I might even push the pads back a little to keep them off the disc if the lay up looks like setting in for a bit.