Thread: Tyre balance?
View Single Post
Old 01-06-2019, 09:11 AM   #7
Mr Gazza
Lord of the Rings

Bike: M900sie
Thank you for jumping in Robert. I hope you don't mind me stealing your picture from your Bellypan sale thread... I didn't want to hijack that.

Interesting comments re balancing, I'm not sure that I'm brave enough to omit the balancing even if I could feel no difference, I would worry that the constant tremors would be wearing the suspension parts.
I didn't always balance my wheels when I fitted my own tubed tyres to my oldies. It used to be said that it wasn't worth it on rear wheels anyway because of the chain thrashing round there. I would static balance front wheels if the bearings were good enough.

As for the security bolt, I have always ditched them when possible. T140's were fitted with two as standard and if building with new rims, would insist that they were not drilled for the bolts... Something I did with my Commando's new rims earlier this year. The tyre can only slip if the pressure is stupidly low, which is why they fit security bolts to trail bikes running very low pressures for mud plugging. The danger is that it will rip the valve out if the tyre pulls the tube round, this is not possible with a tubeless tyre.

I also wonder how accurate the red spots are, but it's something that could be, and probably is, an automated operation for each tyre. Strange that the balance weights don't always seem to have any relationship with the spot or the valve though?
I have (I think) 43 grams near the valve and red spot, which seem a lot and is clearly all down to the tyre, as weights have not appeared there before.

New tyres are not always round either, and this is bound to lead to some patter and poor wear in extreme cases.
I seriously considered making a tyre lathe a couple of years ago, to re-profile the flat off my rear tyre. It has already been invented and it is claimed that a far superior ride quality and wear is had if a (car) tyre is skimmed flat and round from new or worn. They do exist for bike tyres, but it's a bit more involved as the tread is not flat like a car's. Each tyre has it's own profile, but I was on the case with a virtual invention involving a router and a profile following jig.... Some ideas are just too out there to manifest!!