Thread: Rear Shocks
View Single Post
Old 10-12-2019, 11:01 AM   #7
Jez900ie
Pleasantly surprised!

Bike: M900ie
Quote:
Originally Posted by rac3r View Post
Are there any significant differences between the Hyperpro, Nitron and Ohlins shocks for the S2R800? I will be going for the base versions without remote adjuster and I don't do any track riding (I barely ride on the road nowadays!)

Are there any other brands worth looking at?
I made this price comparison a couple of moths back.

Prices inc VAT
Ohlins DU046 £998 with remote preload – discontinued but available via eBay in Italy
Ohlins FE 321 £564 without remote preload
Nitron £462 Lightweight aluminium/ add £180 for remote preload
Hagon £358 -Stainless/ add £151 for remote preload
Wilbers £455 add £183 for remote

I read every review I could find, spoke to suppliers, fitters and riders with the shocks. All seem to have their fans, though none had any very major complaints.

I bought a used Nitron from Zimbo, with servicing £120 and spring £70 shipping I saved some money which was nice. It also made my decison simple!

I think you have the same front forks as I do? I haven't made a final decision yet -no hurry as its ****e out!- though I'm leaning towards:

"Maxton Fork Conversion" (no cartridges) approx £516
"Maxton Fork Conversion (with cartridges SD25) £830
Andreani (full internals change) Misano complete £870
KTECH piston kit £660

All prices include drive in / drive out fitting.

The majority of the shops are reccomending the cheaper upgrades based on my description of normal road riding as I don't plan on track days.

Being able to turn up and have the work done is important to me, so location is a consideration. Richard the owner/ CEO of Maxton was really helpful and informative too and that counts a lot to me.

I found it confusing when making comparisons with different suppliers. A "Fork Conversion" at one shop will be valves and springs, at the next place "Fork Conversion" includes cartridges but reuses your springs, at a third place its different again...

Last edited by Jez900ie; 10-12-2019 at 11:16 AM..
Jez900ie is offline   Reply With Quote