View Single Post
Old 13-08-2019, 12:46 PM   #4
LVC
The Loire Valley Monster

Bike: S4
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyC_772 View Post
Had one. I sold it last year and haven't actually had a bike since

Mine was a 2014 model with the new headlight, and I had it from new.

Straight out of the box the ride was very hard, but it was possible to sort this, more or less, by adjusting the factory suspension. If I had the time again, I'd probably fit an Ohlins rear shock.

Rear tyres last well and are surprisingly cheap and readily available given that they're a bespoke item. Fronts go 20p-shaped after 2500 miles and always seemed to need replacing.

I put about 11,000 miles on mine and had no major reliability issues. IIRC I had to replace the front brake rotors due to them being warped, so check the bike stops smoothly under light braking. Those, and a faulty fuel level sensor were about the only non-service items I had to buy.

I loved the engine and left it in Touring 90% of the time. Urban mode is good for heavy rain or poor surfaces, Sport mode is no more powerful than Touring but had a sharp power delivery which I didn't like.

Handling was fine, though not as fluid or neutral as the best. I found it responded well to a firm guiding hand on the bars; it's very much a bike that you actively ride, rather than it just following the direction you're looking. I'd call it 'involving' when I'm in the mood, although it could also be hard work especially when that front tyre needed changing.

I didn't sell it for any reason to do with the bike itself - just that I was fed up of being cold, wet and/or frustrated on the kinds of long tours we tended to do. The Diavel coped much better with bad weather than I did.

If you like the look of the bike and think you might want one, take one for a test ride and enjoy - you won't regret it.
Thank you that's great info.

How did you find the riding position compared to an older Monster for example (Sports bikes kill my back but roadsters are fine) ?

Having looked at the price difference between the UK bikes and French ones and now that the ABS option allows "full power versions" I think I may end up importing one as I'll be able to get a much newer and lower mileage example in the UK compared to over here especially given the current exchange rates .... who's the best dealer in the South of the UK - Portsmouth up to Guildford/Farnboroughy/Windsor area ??