View Single Post
Old 18-10-2016, 04:55 PM   #6
Luddite

Bike: M1100evo
Part 2: Flywheel

Now this is the part, which some of you may think is a backward step (but my forum name is Luddite so what d'you expect?!).

Problem no. 4: Transmission backlash. Although the earlier mods bring smooth fuelling, the final thing preventing taking full advantage of that smoothness below 3,000 revs is chain slap.

When the Evo was lauched, one of the headline features was that it produced the magical (should that be"mythical"?) 100 HP.

Interestingly, the EC Certificate of Conformity gives the engine power as 95 HP. Whether this is a truer reflection of the actual power output or just Ducati using the old 1100 certificate, who knows?

To achieve this increased power, the engine modifications from the old 1100 included different cams, higher compression and a lighter flywheel from the 848 Evo.

The flywheel stores momentum from the engine and releases it when the engine slows down. It helps to smooth the power delivery, especially at low speed, and damps out transmission slack when riding on and off the throttle, as in town. In theory, a heavier flywheel should have a greater damping effect.

The old 1100 flywheel weighed around 1,800 g while the Evo's is only about 900 g. While the lightweight flywheel might help the engine to spin up faster, I believe it ruins the low speed characteristics and contributes to the rough running.

Solution: A check of the engine diagrams suggested that the 1100 flywheel should fit the Evo without modifications. I'd always fancied trying this swap but, at over £200 for a new flywheel, it would be an expensive experiment.

So, when a second-hand Hyperstrada flywheel (276.1.025.1C) came up on ebay at only £30, I thought it was time to give it a try.

Here are the two side-by-side (the Evo is on the left)...

...the Evo at 988 g

...and the old 1100 at 1,838 g.

You'll see that the 1100 flywheel has an extra hole to accommodate a locating pin, which the Evo doesn't have. I did wonder if that might cause balance problems but the Evo flange, which sits atop the flywheel, also has the redundant hole so no problems there.

Contd...

Last edited by Luddite; 01-07-2019 at 06:56 PM.. Reason: Escape from Photobucket!
Luddite is offline   Reply With Quote