View Single Post
Old 04-05-2020, 03:18 PM   #53
FrankenDesmo

Bike: M900
Quote:
Originally Posted by utopia View Post
If you plan to remove the PCV system, I would recommend leaving the breather unit and plastic separator box in situ and simply removing the long pipe to the airbox.
Your filter can then go on the outlet from the separator box, in place of the aforementioned pipe.
That tidies everything up fairly nicely without compromising the breather system or risking oil blowout.
Good idea, I've done that to start with. Blanked off the hole in the airbox with a 22mm panel trim cap. I'm thinking now that I can probably get rid of the hose from the bottom of the airbox as I shouldn't be getting any oily residues building up in there anymore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luddite View Post
You shouldn't need a puller for the flywheel as it's not on a taper (although you may need a flywheel locking tool). The difficult bit is undoing the nut! But, assuming you can do that, then the flywheel should just pull off.
Mostly it's the lack of torque wrench holding me back, along with a shift into a more frugal mode of spending while this lockdown continues. Another task for another day.

I've been very slowly working on the bike due to a combination of procrastination and waiting for tools/parts to arrive as I discover I need them.

In the end I replaced the starter motor as it was stuffed - turning slowly on the bench, replaced the brushes, still turning slowly. So I've got a very shiny new starter system from the motor back to the battery - new solenoid, exact start leads, and the aforementioned cleaning up of the starter button/run switch.

Bike starts nice and easy now, though I suspect it'll be even better if I replace the cheap battery with a motobatt.

Turning the pilot screws out half a turn each hasn't had much of an impact on the hesitation-around-half-throttle-and-4ish-K-rpm. I suspect this is more of a needle jet transition issue, so I'll probably look to chain the needle height. It's more an issue for slow-speed / round-town riding, so not an issue when I'm out on the country lanes/highways where it runs more or less beautifully.

The only thing I haven't achieved on the wee list is the side pod removal, which is something that doesn't bother me too much - eventually I'll get around to it.

Next big job, however, is a big clean of the whole bike - it's filthy!

Then probably chain & sprockets as I have no idea how old they are.

Tyres should probably be changed at some point too - these ones have plenty of tread and feel fine on the road, but they are 2010's according to their DOT marks (battlax's).
FrankenDesmo is offline   Reply With Quote