View Single Post
Old 19-10-2018, 03:01 PM   #38
Luddite

Bike: M1100evo
Spot the difference - part 2

I've replaced the Öhlins DU737 (adjustable rebound damping only) with this DU432, with the addition of adjustable compression damping on a remote reservoir. You may not have seen this model before, (unless you're Cobra88 of course ), as it's no longer available and it's actually an Öhlins Asia product originally designed for the Asia only Monster 795. (This was a hybrid 696/796 model with the 796 engine and 696 double-sided swinging arm.)

I only learned of its existence by chance when I was looking for details of Öhlins springs and this image popped up:

After much searching, I finally tracked down a NOS example in Italy. Although it's never been listed for the 1100 Evo, all 696/795/796/1100 models share the same stock shock, so I couldn't see any reason why it shouldn't just bolt on. Then, when I found out that Cobra88 was running one on his 1100, (thanks, Rick!), that made my mind up.

No problems fitting it and the billet reservoir holder using existing frame holes is a nice touch. The shock came with a 115 N/mm spring as standard but I knew from experience with the DU737 that I'd need a 105 N/mm. With the shock unmounted, it was just a 10 minute job to swap springs using the Sealey spring compressors I bought for the DU737 but didn't need. They are necessary for the DU432 because the position of the reservoir hose means you can't wind off enough preload to just slide out the spring collar. (I knew those spring compressors would come in handy eventually! )

The only downside is that, because of the reservoir hose, you have to mount the shock upside-down compared to the DU737, which means that access to the preload rings is quite restricted. However, once set up, I'm unlikely to adjust them again so I don't see it as a problem.

Is it better than the DU737? It should be. Will I be able to detect the difference? Probably not. So, why buy it? Well, it was a bit of a Mount Everest purchase - "Because it's there!". Anyway, how many of us can justify all the goodies we've bought for our Monsters??

Of course, what it also means is that there will shortly be an as new, second-hand, bargain DU737 on the market - watch the for sale section for more details!!

Incidentally, when I was asking around various UK Öhlins dealers for this model, Mark Hammond at MH Suspension in Chippenham said that he could upgrade my DU737 by adding a remote reservoir and the other necessary hardware, which was news to me. Although, in the event, that service wasn't needed, he also sourced me a lighter 105 N/mm spring to match the one I had in my DU737. He was very helpful when I was considering the conversion so, if anyone in the Wiltshire area needs their shock, (or forks), servicing or upgrading, or respringing/revalving etc., give him a call 01249 721001 www.mhracing.com
Luddite is offline   Reply With Quote