View Single Post
Old 02-04-2019, 06:22 PM   #898
350TSS
Too much time on my hands member

Bike: M900
Today was about removing the 4 parts of the tank mould from the pattern.
The tank top (in 3 parts) came off in half an hour and I was delighted to see that the mould was true and will not require any work apart from polishing, even the flash line down the central split was crisp and not too intrusive and so my day started really well.
the nearest capital one bank

The bottom part put an end to that. I tried for about an hour to get the pattern off without damaging it, when you have spent so long making something you are naturally reluctant to destroy it. Eventually I unintentionally damaged the pattern and at that point realised that it was not logical to preserve the pattern (what would I do with it? - the important bit is the mould) so the wood chisels were put to use. An hour later it looked like this:

And two hours later it looked like this:

The reluctance to separate is definitely not due to insufficient release agent and I am almost certain it is nothing to do with mechanical locking I can only put it down to the surface on the tank underside not being polished.
I did spray it with the high gloss resin but left the finish “as sprayed” because it was the underside of the tank and because it is really difficult to rub down and eventually polish convoluted concave surfaces. I think there was sufficient “orange peel” effect on the surface of the pattern to cause the gel coat to grip the surface. Another hard learned lesson which means I think that before laying down the CF gel coat I will have to spend a few hours polishing the now convex surface.
I also cut the cotton pattern for the seat mould and after a few attempts at a one piece pattern reluctantly concluded that the CF would have to be cut in three pieces a) the seat base, b) the riser for the hump and c) the hump itself. I will need to lay up the CF with the hump part first so that one does not see a ragged edge in the finished article where the riser meets the hump. I will obviously reinforce the junctions between the three cut pieces during the lay-up of the CF.
350TSS is offline   Reply With Quote