View Single Post
Old 31-03-2019, 03:53 PM   #897
350TSS
Too much time on my hands member

Bike: M900
The tank underside now with 2 gel coats, one coupling coat with 100g mat and two polyester resin coats with 300g mat. I hope to finish tomorrow with 2 more 300g mat coats and then split the mould 4 ways the day after when the resin has fully cured.
I have cut cotton patterns for the CF cloth for all the smaller moulds; the tank obviously, the seat, the hugger and the fly-screen still need to be done.
I have been thinking about the engine work I need to do and I definitely need to replace the fixed belt rollers as these were seized in and I had to weld nuts to the ends of the stud to get them out. Replacement fixed belt rollers are part number
45120211A @ 41.98 Euros each plus postage from Stein Dinse
so not much change out of £90.
Can anyone think of a good reason not to use 4 bearings as used on the adjusting rollers retained by a wire locked titanium bolt? This can be done with top grade bearings and Grade 5 titanium bolts for about £35 (although I may need to make a couple of spacers for the inner race to cylinder block interface as the original bearing has a projection there).
The side loading on the bearings cannot be much different as between the adjusting rollers and the fixed roller so the bearings should be up to it and I cannot think that a cam belt can exert enough force to sheer a 10mm titanium bolt. Bolt retention issues arising through differential expansion rates of aluminium and titanium and heat cycling may be problematic but with Loctite and a wire locking arrangement in place that should deal with that. Clearance between the bolt head and the CF belt cover should not be an issue and in any event the bolt head should not be spinning. The only other problem I can foresee is that the original fixed bearings may have had the outer surface ground slightly (domed profile) so that the belt self- centred but I think that unlikely as it would stress the teeth on the belt and since I have thrown the old ones away I cannot tell that.
350TSS is offline   Reply With Quote