View Single Post
Old 21-03-2019, 03:13 PM   #893
350TSS
Too much time on my hands member

Bike: M900
Thanks Mr Gazza – alas I saw your post too late as I have achieved this:

Bad news
a) It took 5 hours
b) I haven’t finished yet as I need to spend at least an hour repairing the mould where there was a chisel /mould interaction
c) The garage is absolutely covered in a million tiny pieces of the pattern which had to be completely destroyed to get the mould off it and this will take a further hour at least to clean up.
Good news
a) I am almost certain that mechanical locking was not the reason that the mould was so difficult to remove, which means that I can use it for the carbon fibre seat without modification. I will however remove the CF seat from the mould after a gel coat and one layer of CF whilst there is the possibility that it is flexible enough to spring out.
I am pretty sure that the reason it was such a bugger was that I applied the release agent and the gel coat directly to rubbed down filler. Normally I would have coated these with pattern primer and high gloss resin and then polished them but since the filler bit was to be under the seat foam and the upholstery I was not that bothered about the finish. I think that the filler whilst smooth is porous and the release agent escaped into the pores with the result that the gel coat bonded perfectly to the filler. A lesson hard learned.
350TSS is offline   Reply With Quote