View Single Post
Old 19-05-2015, 06:36 PM   #1
TonyG

Few thoughts on my 1100s

Quick review of my ownership of an M1100s if anyone is interested.

To put this into context, I’m 54 and have been riding since 1977, so I’m guessing I’m way up on the normal age range for Monster owners. I’ve got no particular prejudices, like all motorcycles, British, Oriental, Italian obviously, even Harleys. I ride for fun nowadays, no more commuting except the odd sunny day.Bikes owned over recent years include a ZRX1100, faultlessly reliable, lots of long trips, don’t think I even had to adjust the chain, Speed Triple, round headlamp model, brutal bike but not very comfortable, Guzzi 8V Griso, odd but lovely, surprisingly quick and good handling, but weighed a lot and terrible fuel consumption.

I’ve had my 1100s for just over a year, it’s a 2009 model but was first registered in 2011, and I got it with 1,500 miles on the clock. It is easily fast enough for me nowadays and makes me smile in a way that none of recent bikes have done, takes me back to my rose tinted memories of a 900ss in 1980. It is very light and handles superbly, I even think I can feel the difference the Ohlins make. Noise and feel from the L twin motor is just brilliant, definitely my favourite cylinder configuration. It looks great, and there is endless scope for after market goodies, but I’ve decided to limit myself here and spend the money on petrol and tyres instead. I did get a DP comfort seat from this forum, and that makes a difference on longer rides, though I still end up with a flattened scrotum if I brake hard.

Downsides are the service costs, I’ve just had the belts done, next service will be the 7,500 valve check, then another belt change after that. Also, when I got it it didn’t like starting if left for a week or 2. More regular use seemed to fix that, but it’s just started doing it again, ironically just after it was serviced. Finish seems good overall, some pitting around the front cylinder head but can’t do much about that, maybe get a fender extender, but will look crap. Also wondered if the oil cooler is in the firing line for any small stones thrown up and whether it’s worth getting a guard. I had the footrest hangers stove enamelled similar in colour to the engine casings which makes it look a lot better.

I had a loan 821 Monster for the day when I had the service done and wondered whether it would be a disappointment to get my old 1100 back afterwards. I took the 821 down to the coast and had a great time on it, kept it in touring mode most of the time, it felt very crisp, better low down fuelling than my 1100. More upright riding position and very easy and intuitive to ride, felt like a monster should. Very nice to view from one side, but not so nice from the side with all the plumbing, surely they could have tidied that up a bit. Nice though the 851 was I was happy when I got my 1100s back.

This is a good forum, lots of advice available and some very helpful members. Hopefully get to meet some people during the year.