View Single Post
Old 10-06-2020, 09:48 PM   #14
Luddite

Bike: M1100evo
As many have already observed, the original and, as far as I'm aware, still current, service interval for the belts is two years. So, either JHP have made a mistake, or they've taken it upon themselves to extend belt life, perhaps based upon the 1100 Scrambler.

I remember when the Scrambler was first released, Bike Magazine took one out along with Claudio Domenicali. They quizzed him about the resurrection of the 1100 motor and Domenicali said that, in fact, it had been extensively reworked and about the only parts it shared with the Monster were the belts and timing system. Certainly, the motors do share timing belts but the Scrambler has a much longer recommended belt life of five years.

The Scrambler engine is in a lower state of tune than the Monster and has less valve overlap so, presumably, gives the belts an easier time but I do think that the official Monster belt life is overly cautious at two years. The ExactFit belts have a three year life, for example. I, personally, have gone four years between changes and the old belts still looked like new. I certainty don't have a problem going past two years, but with regular visual checks of the belt condition as a precaution.
Luddite is offline   Reply With Quote