View Single Post
Old 17-07-2020, 02:52 PM   #42
Darkness

Bike: M900
Quote:
Originally Posted by brian900m View Post
First time out on the bike - 2 things struck me - i) how useless the aftermarket mirrors are and ii) I do miss having a rev counter! Anyone fitted an aftermarket one??
Standard mirrors are really only good for checking that your elbows are still there. I had a pair of Ducati Scrambler mirrors fitted on one of mine and the extra width of the lenses meant you could see behind yourself too! Needed LH/RH thread adaptors to fit though.

The M900 engine is the same as the 900SS, which had a rev counter as standard. The Monster has a blanked off hole in the front head for the mechanical drive, but they didn’t fit the worm drive cog on the camshaft. Check though as you could be lucky and find Ducati or a previous owner did fit one. A rev counter and cable from the SS would work well with a custom bracket.

Otherwise, there are electronic tachometers which take their drive from one of the ignition boxes. There are limited numbers of period RoadRacing and Ducati Performance upgrades that come up for sale periodically, but bear in mind these are twenty year old items, some of which had dubious quality control in the first place.

Otherwise there are plenty of new race tachos which can be modded to fit.

Personally I’ve never felt the need for a rev counter on the Monster, just keep changing up early and ride the torque curve!

Worth searching for rev counter and tacho threads on here. You aren’t the first to fancy one.