View Single Post
Old 09-05-2014, 09:20 PM   #52
spacemonkey
I see dead people.

Location: Carving a slice thru the braindead masses..(pun intended)
Bike: M900
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrD View Post
You could leave the engine be, rebuild and then use the engine's own heat to help the bolt removal process
I know that means a two stage rebuild but less drastic than the extreme measures
My thoughts too, which I might end up doing. I would take barrels off and paint them anyway, and could always remove the side covers too, which doesn't leave much to paint in the frame. At least I could ride it soon!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stued View Post
This is my go to final option (the last resort) the thing I would do in your situation, if I really wanted that bolt out.

A impact socket (1/2" drive, or larger) 2 to 3 ft breaker bar, large hammer and a friend. Tell the friend something might break. Apply a loosening torque (heave on the bar) when applying your favoured max torque have your friend pound through the head of the bar and socket. Continue until the corrosion gives way or the bolt shears........... I did say last resort

I've painted an engine in the frame because of a situation like yours, and was never happy with the result, if I've taught you to suck eggs I apologise.

Stu
Thanks, all suggestions appreciated! This was the first thing I did but still got scared of shearing it in case there was an easier way. Could try with my sawn off sledge hammer instead of the lump hammer...

Quote:
Originally Posted by utopia View Post
Unless you were prepared to try the earlier, slightly less scary suggestion of drilling the small lateral holes through the crankcase into the engine bolt holes to get the acid in.
I can't see it causing any weakness if the holes were small.
You could even give up at that point, but keep applying the vinegar over the subsequent life of the bike until eventually it did the trick....perhaps.
In which case drilling down vertically might be the best option.

Point taken about the impact gun.....I may have omitted to check your earlier posts.
But then I got to wondering.....does the gun impact with a twisting motion or is there some axial impact as well.
If its just torque impact then maybe the hammer drill offers something a tad different as the impact is axial ?

Good point. Might try it- didn't think about that tbh..

I have ally welding rods so in theory could fill the holes if I tried that method too. Hmm...

Had a closer look and reckon I could strip more off easier than I thought, and with heat mat, I could get the blowtorch in there. My uncle reckons that you should rub a soap bar on the ally and it burns or goes black when the temp is right but before it melts. Anyone else tried this? Bloke at B&Q reckons propane won't melt ally anyway. Thoughts on that?

Thanks for all help so far.
spacemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote