View Single Post
Old 12-02-2024, 12:31 PM   #6
utopia
No turn left unstoned

Bike: M750
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dukedesmo View Post
Utopia has a single exhaust on his M750, I think for lightness and a 'less is more' philosophy.
Exactly so.

I can't imagine there's a huge difference in performance between the two styles.
After all, on a monster each cylinder exhausts through both silencers so even though its a twin-can system it must function much like a 2 into 1 but with two silencers on the outlet from the collector.
Add to that the uneven firing of the 90 deg motor which must make the timing of the reflected exhaust pulses almost impossible to optimise if they're "mixed".
Whereas in a "conventional" twin-can system each cylinder has its own individual pipe and silencer, making it much simpler to tune the reflected pulses.
The early racing MVs, Hondas, Benellis etc. all had individual pipes for each cylinder, presumably for the above reason, but then again they were straight through pipes and so there was considerably less weight penalty from a four pipe system than there would be on a road bike running silencers.

On a road bike there will be much more weight to be shed by losing one silencer (with its heavy innards) and in my opinion this is well worth taking advantage of.

I like the practical simplicity of a single can system as it makes access for cleaning and maintenance a little easier.
I also find mechanical simplicity appealing in its own right in a purist kind of way.
And personally speaking, I find the asymmetry of a single can system visually appealing, particularly in combination with the matching asymmetry of the fore and aft, 90 deg spaced cylinders of the Ducati motor.

On the downside, where one can is doing all of the silencing for the entire system (remember that each cylinder exhausts through both silencers simultaneously in the std system), I imagine its harder to keep the noise level down. That has been my experience anyway, albeit fairly limited.

To sum up, performance gains are of lesser importance to my mind but the loss of weight and both the mechanical and the visual simplicity make the single can system my personal firm favourite.

For those that are wondering ... my own M750 runs a big bore, thin-wall, 2-1 high-level Sil Moto system originally intended for an M900 but cut down to suit the dims of the 750 engine.
It weighs bugger-all and it shows off the rear end nicely (without resort to the abomination of a single sided swingarm).
Coupled with its short..ish, straight through carbon can and a homemade db killer, I struggle to keep it quiet.
utopia is offline   Reply With Quote