View Single Post
Old 07-06-2019, 05:52 PM   #936
350TSS
Too much time on my hands member

Bike: M900
The internal repair of the belt covers was a bit of a disaster, a good proportion of the resin used to repair from the inside seeped past the tape and glued the covers to the bench. They took a bit of removing as I had left them under the halogen floodlights to cure and it had properly gone off. The dilemma was then 1) carry on repairing (estimate 6 hours and a very good prospect that they would end up looking naff) or 2) re-make them from scratch (probably about 4 hours but knowing full well that wet laying from my mould was very unlikely to produce a half decent result). So I went onto fleabay and bought some (and a sprocket cover with a similarly problematic mould). I felt a bit bad about it as buying ready-made stuff was not really part of the ethos of this build, but sometimes you have to just bow to the inevitable.
Next I cut the hole in the tank base to accept the petrol tap boss and bonded it in, it was the only place it would fit and I am a bit worried that I may not be able to turn the tap to the reserve position as it may foul the frame tube. Not insuperable but annoying if it does. I twisted some masking tape to put through the two holes where the normal and reserve pipes project into the tank. The resin got to these and they will now have to be drilled out, but I will leave this until after the base has had a layer of ethanol resistant resin just before bonding it to the tank top surface.
350TSS is offline   Reply With Quote