View Single Post
Old 22-03-2019, 05:51 PM   #25
Macflurry

Bike: M900
Right guys, thanks for all the input. Part of my issues are idiot based (yep, me ). Turns out that I hadn't located the pressure plate properly at the end so it was sitting too high. I felt metal on metal and when I turned it the clutch hub was tuning with it so I assumed all was good but today after getting everything back together again I had a play and saw it click into place properly.

On a plus note, this did get me to go back in and replace the extra bearings and seals. The small seal that came out of the input drive shaft had come out a lot easier than the new one went in so I think that may have actually bee the source of all my problems and not the one that I swapped out behind the basket. But it's more work done that I don't have to do in future so it's a positive outcome for peace of mind.

Pressure plate bearing popped out nice and easy after it had been in the oven for 10 min's on 180. Then the new one eased half way in by hand, while it was still hot, before needing a socket as a drift to fit it all the way in.

I had to get the needle bearing out of the input drive shaft with a Dremmel. It was a bit of a twat and I thought I had screwed it up for a second. Had to grind through it to the shaft without damaging it. I was hoping to lever up the remains with a screw driver but they wouldn't lift it up when I tried tapping it under with a hammer but it did lift up with the edge of a Stanley blade. Basically it was because of how close the edges had ground to the shaft, the screw driver slipped over the edges.

Clutch plates are Newfren and the stack sat at 39mm including the two steel plates, dished plate, 7 friction plates. The Newfren friction plate set came with 8 friction plates, so there was one more than I removed from the bike. Neutral doesn't kick in with the engine running and gear changes are forced/clunky instead of slick and easy so I'm hoping that is all just down to it needing bedding in.

Test ride today had it pulling more like I would expect and, funnily enough, not slipping because the plates were covered in oil.

Now it's just the fuelling/ popping to sort and the speedo that died on the test run today.

Last edited by Macflurry; 22-03-2019 at 05:57 PM..
Macflurry is offline   Reply With Quote