View Single Post
Old 05-01-2020, 05:55 PM   #58
Dilkris

Hi Darren69 - Yes indeed the bike is now up for sale; not the most sensible time of the year to move a bike perhaps, but at least it is "out there".

The saga continued up to receiving a clean bill of health on the ECU from Avanti Race Parts, there were no fault codes and furthermore Antony installed the ECU on a bike he had in his shop and all was OK. At this point, I took a deep breath and left all alone for a couple of months as the temptation to dig a hole in the garden and bury it was becoming increasingly strong.

Back at it, I'd already ascertained that possible problems with the secondary immobilizer, (located around the ignition key), and side stand switch were not viable as the engine would turn over, (but would not start). Problems with these later two would stop the engine even turning over.

I'd got sparks at the plugs, fuel to the throttle body and signals to the injectors, (checked with a Noid Light), so I cleaned the injectors in an ultrasonic cleaner, but, even though I'd cleaned them I wanted to know if they were actually working.... (You will recall, in the history of this saga, that I'd run the bike one afternoon in the workshop, bringing the engine up to temperature so as to confirm cooling fan operation and then shut it down.) The following morning, it would not start. (By “start” I mean it would turn over but would not fire.) I had no cause to believe the injectors were at fault – I mean it was running the day before – right?

Energising the injectors however I could not hear the tell-tale “click”…….

Because the injectors in the S4R 996 engine are unusual (perhaps all Ducati Injectors are like this, ie: fuel is fed to the injector via an annular ring around the body of the injector itself), it makes testing them on the bench difficult/impossible. To this end I made an aluminium test manifold to mimic the orifice within the throttle body to which an injector fits. This allowed me to feed the injector with carb cleaner and at the same time pulse energize the injector coil to visually see a spray pattern.

Initially there was no spray…..but after a couple of cycles, there it was.!!

Injectors back in and the engine now starts as a fuel injected engine should do – (what a saga...)

So yes, bike on the market; it’s a beautiful machine and I could happily stare at it all day long, but I just don’t feel the love for it; my Harley (sorry guys), curls my toes as and when they need curling, and now retired I need the funds to continue pouring money into a Chapman Lotus project.

Not sure if I’ve enjoyed Ducati ownership but I have very much enjoyed this forum and I can’t thank enough everyone that offered advice and encouragement throughout this journey. I subscribe to a few forums and this most certainly is up there with the best. A credit to you all.

So – anybody out there with an S4R that won’t start – drop me a line..!!!