View Single Post
Old 16-07-2019, 11:12 PM   #55
Geoff

Bike: M1000ie
i use jpdiag for my 2004 monster 1000 and my 2007 1098s tricolore and in both cases my ecu is an iaw5. From memory I installed jpdiag, connected to the Serial connection of the ecu using what people call a fiat connector which is connected to an obd2 connector. Once connection was established and the software shows connected I then downloaded the ecu information which I saved to a file. This file I sent to the jpdiag link and the guy kindly sent me a file with an activation code. Basically I have two unique codes one for each bike and I just change the name depending on which bike I’m working on. I think in the case of the iaw5.9 you don’t need a code.
In the case of my monster the ecu was replaced under warranty and I think it may originally be a iaw5.9 as certain features behaved differently to original. For example on my original ecu if I didn’t press the starter within a defined time it would time out forcing my to re sequence the bike. Even the eobd led behaves differently at initialisation.
I’ve sent several mates ecu s in the past to a avanti in order to remove the immobiliser function and went well.
Using the software you can pretty much rule out the ecu yourself just with some checks I mentioned. As others have said at the very least you can download any ecu faults but sometimes they don’t shed light on what’s really wrong in my limited experience but like you I’m learning. Like you also familiar with Harley’s and old Meriden triumphs but you’ll get there. Worth the effort as cracking bikes.
Geoff is offline   Reply With Quote