View Single Post
Old 09-06-2019, 02:32 PM   #49
Dilkris

I am in way suggesting that a timing belt or belts on a Ducati (or any other motorcycle engine) should last 200,000 miles - as their operational parameters are wildly different, but I thought the following was interesting - and I'm sure going to generate some points of view.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MA8zzD9jjwQ

I think cam belt change intervals really is an area which could be described as an "un-exacting science" - I used to race Biland SA250 Karts and we changed the belt at 50 hours; the engines ran to 12,500rpm - yes, I lost a belt once, but this was due to the cam belt cover digesting debris from the track and yes, a Biland SA250 is an "interference engine" and yes - it was an expensive repair.

It would be interesting to see a data base of all those people who have lost a belt on a Ducati - and more to the point, how old was it in terms of age or mileage when it failed.

Referring back to the video - you will note at 2.24, if you freeze the frame and look carefully - it was a DAYCO timing belt...!!! Now that's got to be a good advert - and yes, that belt sure was showing signs of distress.