Thread: Fork cartridges
View Single Post
Old 22-11-2018, 07:39 PM   #16
utopia
No turn left unstoned

Bike: M750
F G Gubellini used to do a kit for S2R (Showa) forks, comprising replacement comp and rebound pistons/shims and new damper rods.
I have one myself, but unfortunately I can't report on its effectiveness as its still in the box, awaiting fitment.
It will get fitted at some stage, possibly this winter, but that's partly because I'm a fiddler and I like to try to do things myself where possible because of the knowledge gained in the process.
My backstop plan remains a full re-cartridge by Maxton though, and that is probably the most effective way to achieve the desired result.
But my bike is a keeper (forever). I probably couldn't justify the cash for the full Maxton job otherwise.

From the Gubellini box, the S2R kit part number is FGKFS2RM.
I think they're pretty rare though .. my kit is the only one I've ever seen.
Mine was a stock clearance item and I believe I paid around £150, which would certainly be more economical .. if you can find one and don't mind fitting it yourself.
Though like I said, I have no knowledge of its effectiveness.

The general opinion seems to be that the comp damping of the std fork is way too harsh.
With this in mind, I might be inclined to try a lighter oil.

If the above makes me sound like any kind of suspension expert then I can assure you that while I might have a grasp of the principles I have very little practical experience, so judge my suggestions accordingly.
utopia is offline   Reply With Quote