View Single Post
Old 08-03-2019, 06:56 PM   #14
Mr Gazza
Lord of the Rings

Bike: M900sie
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capo View Post
No hammer required for the SSA version
I'm sure that Darkness was jokingly implying that the SSA bushes would need a big hammer to get them into the early wheel.. Obviously not a realistic idea.

I was pondering the idea of freezing the poly bushes with liquid Nitrogen and turning them down to fit the early wheel. This is a technique used by Oberon to produce a flat or concave face on an O-ring for their clutch slave seals apparently.

Maybe the polyurethane would cut okay without freezing? Maybe a sharp rotating disc cutter would work, like on a tyre lathe?

The lack of metal retaining ring on the poly bushes implies that there is an interference fit of some degree and the concave sides of the cylinder reinforce that idea, so it would be important to reproduce both those features when deciding on the size to reduce the bushes to.

I have no idea if super freezing would effect the bond of the bush to the steel bolt, nor what effect the freezing would have on working out what the final machined size would be.

Of course approaching this from the opposite direction, maybe the bush holes in the wheel could be enlarged. This would be rather permanent and if it didn't work it would be terminal!
Again I have no idea if there is enough meat on the wheel to do this safely, or how it could be machined... At least the holes would only have to be enlarged to a depth of 16mm to accommodate the poly bushes.

Any thoughts on the above anyone?

Probably simpler to try and find out if the correct poly bushes are available, as Darren suggests, but I would have thought that we would already know if they were made.