Thread: Cush Drive....
View Single Post
Old 06-03-2019, 04:20 PM   #4
Flip

Bike: M900
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Gazza View Post
I was contemplating the very same about a year or so ago. I had the play that you mention on the sprocket along with the metallic clack at each end of the play.

I popped the wheel out to see what the damage was and found that the Coppaslip that I had applied to the pins had dried out and seemed to be working like grinding paste, as I have heard can happen, but never believed until I saw my pins.

I am changing all the Coppaslip for Moly-grease as I go along now, I washed and re-moly-greased the cush drive pins. Putting the carrier back into the bushes, in a randomly different position to before, I noticed that the free play was no longer there. So I tried it in all the possible positions and sure enough, there were tight and loose places. Maybe this indicates some lack of concentricity somewhere, or uneven wear, I don't know.
I simply installed it in the tightest position and have used it since with no worries...I'll probably inspect it during the current ongoing service.
Your findings are very interesting there Mr G- I didn't take note of it's position when I last removed it and I can't say for certain when I first noticed the metallic sound.

My main reason for changing the rubbers is simply that they must have hardened over twenty two years and so thought it a good idea.

I do think it is perhaps not quite such a good design as those more often seen on Japanese motorcycles as on the Ducati design although there is some cushioning there is still direct metal to metal contact which surely must wear to some degree?