View Single Post
Old 07-10-2015, 05:23 PM   #8
marchesini
Um, thinking of something

Bike: S4r
Quote:
Originally Posted by MerlinPV12 View Post
Its a tricky one for Ducati and the judges to nail in the perfect format as I went away thinking had I known the decision was going to be made on a mechanical/technical basis I wouldn't have entered as Fenella could never compete with a track day bike or a £70,000 Foggy rep.
Not entirely sure what you mean there? I don't think when they set these competitions up, they have any specific criteria to judging. It's just whatever 'floats their boats' on that particular day. I speak from experience as I was the last Ducati Speciale Challenge winner and mine, although was't cheap, it certainly wasn't the most expensive either. 2nd & third places weren't Ducati Performance catalogue specials either.

From the pics that I've seen, and seeing the Specials at WDW as well as some of the stuff coming out from various custom workshops all over the world, I think it's a shame that the winner still looks like a 748 / 996. I'm all for keeping things original as per Albie's M900 rebuild but I think a bike building competition should celebrate individuality and trying to do something different from the norm - not just doing the same as what already exists. Just my opinion though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MerlinPV12 View Post
From what Tim Maccabee said during the presentation I think they have "plans" for next year to develop the competition - I'm quietly hoping that some sort of category system can be implemented although I know that's a nightmare to come up with in the first place.
I highly doubt it. It's been 9 years since the last one so roll on 2025 when I'll have my custom hydrogen powered bike powered by brain impulses.

Well done for making the final though. Always good to see a Monster in the line up.
marchesini is offline   Reply With Quote