View Single Post
Old 20-08-2019, 07:53 PM   #986
350TSS
Too much time on my hands member

Bike: M900
Really productive day today, I started by locating the tank breather. Originally I wanted to locate it on the leading edge of the tank blister but that would have meant the entry hole would be about 15mm below the top of the blister and with a full tank and heavy braking the cheapo Chinese non-return valve would have been subject to fuel pressure not just air pressure. That meant it had to be top of the blister mounted. Obviously a central location had to be determined, but which centre - of the tank or centre of the blister which unfortunately are not exactly the same place, whichever I chose would look odd. I settled on the LH end so that the pipe does not get in the way of my turning the ignition key. The original part I made to act as the internal nut would not fit with the depth of CF inside the blister so I had to knock up an 8mm aluminium nut on the lathe.

open gas station near my location
Next I turned my attention to the positioning of the cotton reel at the back of the tank which will locate the 5mm bungee cord which will pull the tank down onto the rubber Isolation mounts. I will use the standard Monster over centre latch at the front and with QD petrol pipe unions the tank should be removable in about 20 seconds.
Moving the tank backwards by about 8 to 10mm has compounded a problem I had already foreseen, namely because the frame mounting point for the bungee is the bridge across the frame and this is now about 25mm forward of the rear edge of the tank the bungee will chafe the rear edge of the tank and damage the paint and possibly the CF. I came up with this escutcheon:

It is 0.5mm stainless steel cut from an old cooker hood trunking. It took ages to make, cutting it out with tin snips (they was the only tool I could use) left the inevitable crenulated edge which had to be addressed between the heads of two hammers, which left some minor denting which had to be polished out with 600 wet and dry. It was araladited to the tank and the cotton reel installed which pressed out surplus araldite which then got everywhere and had to be cleaned off with more wet and dry. Still I am quite pleased with the result and the curvatures around the cotton reel seem to look relatively uniform.
Then I spent half an hour or so pouring resin into the recesses for the isolation mounts. I will leave this to cure for a couple of days before re-cutting the recesses 10mm further forward

The last hour I started to make the rear seat latch which will follow the same principles as the other seat mounts. This I should finish tomorrow.
chase bank near me open hours
350TSS is offline   Reply With Quote