View Single Post
Old 14-08-2019, 06:21 PM   #978
350TSS
Too much time on my hands member

Bike: M900
Something always conspires to limit the progress I can make on any one day. Today it was the filler cap. I was due to bond in the “captive nut” the secures the filler neck into the tank and has 5 threaded holes that the filler cap screws to. I was going to drill the holes through the insert the cap sits in and araldite the captive nut inside the tank top. I checked everything worked on the bench, drilled 5 x 5mm holes through the insert and mixed up some araldite. I then spent 30 minutes trying to start the threads on the screws by which time the araldite had gone off and the captive nut was in danger of being very firmly secured to the tank in obviously the wrong position.
On a standard Monster there screws x 5mm screws on the ring around the filler cap, three real ones about 20mm long and 2 dummies that do not secure anything about 10mm long. I did not like the idea of dummies made them into real ones by drilling the thread out and making 2 aluminium spacers to fit between the filler and the tank.
Half an hour was then spent getting the ¾ set araldite off everything it was attached to. I checked the assembly again and everything worked. I decided to get the assembly attached to the tank and aralidite through the lightening holes. Still it would not go on, (WTF, much swearing and scratching of head) eventually I traced the issue to one of the spacers fouling the insert and pushing the filler assembly out of line with the holes and the nut on the back. What should have taken half an hour took the best part of 2 ½ hours. Now bonded in and I am reasonably satisfied with the results.
up load photos

The next job was to remove the polypropylene from the modifications I made yesterday, it came off easily and after a light filling to cover up surface indentations I am also reasonably satisfied with the outcome. Couple more filling and rubbing down cycles and this will be done
Re-locating the fuel tap took most of the rest of the day, I managed to part the old tap boss from the resin that was holding it in the previously and trimmed the anchor plate to fit the tap in the only possible place it can go. I hope this location will enable me to switch to reserve on the move without getting my hand trapped in the rear shock absorber spring.

I came up with a better design for the seat mounting just in front of the rear hump and I cut the necessary aluminium but then botched the lightening holes, my pillar drill is not powerful enough so I had to put the work piece in the vice and use a hole-saw horizontally. The centre drill skidded and the holes are not in line so this will have to be done again .
350TSS is offline   Reply With Quote