View Single Post
Old 14-08-2020, 12:06 AM   #20
spuggy

Bike: M900sie
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luddite View Post
I may be misreading your post, Spuggy, and, if that's the case, apologies, but are you saying the SH821 is a series type regulator?
I was under the impression that the SH821 was. But I was wrong; it diode-checks as a shunt.

Well, frolicking puppies and rainbows...

I knew the SH775 is a 35A SCR series R/R, and the SH847 a 50A version of the same. The SH821 is a later (& still current) type; to my mind, it beggars belief that Ducati are still fitting SCR shunts to new bikes...

Ho-hum. Found a cheap source for SH775's (heh - Polaris have jacked the price of their part to $200 since the Strom guys discovered them at 60).

Least the 775 will be a straight swap ...

Quote:
knowing Ducati as we do, you wouldn't expect the bean counters to authorise a top spec R/R when a cheaper option is available.
Sigh. Until comparatively recently, I did not share your cynicism regarding Ducati's bean counters. I see now that this was naive of me...

Quote:
I was under the impression it was an unremarkable SCR shunt type (I think the S in SH signifies SCR circuitry and the F in FH indicates (MOS)FET).
Yup, I believe that you are correct.

Quote:
Having corresponded with Shindengen in the past, I pinged them an email for clarification and, to their credit, they replied straightaway:
FWIW, I'll say "sorry" to anyone I may have inadvertently misled...
spuggy is offline   Reply With Quote