View Single Post
Old 07-12-2017, 06:56 AM   #426
350TSS
Too much time on my hands member

Bike: M900
I machined the Mk 2 brake hanger hub today and managed to overcut the 37mm (to 37.02 instead of 36.97) bore for the bearings so the bearings would definitely not be an interference fit. The solution was to take the hole in the hub out to 39.97mm and use the bronze bush from the Mk1 which worked out fine. I think it is a better solution as the bronze bush has an internal shoulder that will prevent the bearing walking crossways, although I will need to make a steel spacer to go between the two inner races so that the bearings are not side loaded when the wheel is tightened up. Retaining that spacer in alignment with the two bearings when the spindle is removed I have not yet worked out how to do (initial thoughts are a sheet of nylon 6mm thick fitting closely around the outside of the spacer and fitting inside the bronze bush with a loose fit so maintaining the alignment but being friction free on the rotation of the hub around the spindle). Getting all the various other bits in line when replacing the rear wheel can be a bit tricky.

I also had a bit of a ponder on my coil bracket(s). I originally intended to mount them one each side just beneath the bracket that holds originally the battery and airbox but I forgot about the vacuum petrol pump which resides on the RH side. There is just not quite enough room to put both coils on the LH side. Above the cross brace in front of the rear cylinder head seems a possibility but I may have to scallop the tank base to get clearance. Not exactly the ideal location as it will be hot under there and there will be some masking of cooling air to the vertical cylinder head. Making the requisite space can be done in two possible ways, 1) make a cut out in the existing mold which will not be easy at all or 2) make the male mold of the tank base as is and add a bit so that the resulting female has the required space envelope. Option 2 definitely preferred.

I will need to weld or braze a bracket to the cross brace and my thinking is for a 6mm aluminium plate resting on the cross brace tube and secured by the brackets with 2 x 15mm x 15mm male rubber isolation mounts per coil mounted above the plate. The coils being mounted fore and aft onto the isolation mounts with the plug leads exiting forward. My real concern with this location is the heat affecting the longevity of the coils but the original Monster coil positioning is not that far away and they would be in front of the rear cylinder head rather than above it. I do not really have a lot of other options so Hobson’s choice will have to do.
350TSS is offline   Reply With Quote