View Single Post
Old 16-05-2019, 05:33 AM   #927
350TSS
Too much time on my hands member

Bike: M900
I tried boding the two halves of the chain oiler reservoir together today, not before I spent some time buggering about getting the mounting cups and their holes aligned with the two mounting lugs on the frame. Fortunately, I decided to cut the holes for them first at 20mm rather than the required 25mm as enlarging the holes gave me wiggle room to get the full size holes in (hopefully) the right place.
I mixed my EL2 epoxy resin with my very finely chopped CF and the resulting gloop whilst much better for being finely chopped was still very difficult to work. The two halves have bonded together but will need a further go to get the container oil tight and a lot of rubbing down to look at all half decent. It will have to be painted.
The mounting cups will be bonded in after the container is a container and not a colander. They have to be bonded in positioned with about a 15 degree angle between the back of the cup and the back of the container if the resulting reservoir is to a) have sufficient clearance for the rear suspension rocker pivot bolt and b) sit right with the frame. I am not exactly sure how to do this but I suspect it will involve placing the reservoir in position, taping round the base of the cups with the tape projecting about 5 to 10 mm beyond the base of the cup and filling the ensuing “bucket” with dollops of stiffly mixed resin gloop then forcing the back of the container over the cups so that the gloop takes up the angle. I will need to then gaffer tape the container into the right position whilst the resin sets.
I has dawned on me that similar modifications to the headlamp shell mould will have to be carried out on the fly-screen, the seat, the air scoops, the hugger and the belt covers if I am to reduce the risk of more failures. This will take at least a further 15 hours before I can start laying CF in these moulds.
350TSS is offline   Reply With Quote