View Single Post
Old 13-05-2019, 06:10 AM   #925
350TSS
Too much time on my hands member

Bike: M900
I suffered two annoying setbacks yesterday, both involving the ignitech enclosure. I got the Dremel out to cut off the surplus CF and to trial fit it into the frame and resolve any interface issues with the battery box/infill panels. About five minutes in and there is a blinding white flash from the Dremel and a bang and all the power and lights in my garage went AWOL. First thoughts were I was extremely disappointed as the Dremel is a nice and very handy tool and I did not want to lose it, also it is not that old. The RCD in the garage was still OK as was the one in the house so a bit puzzling, then I remembered that the garage supply comes via another consumer unit in another shed which had tripped. After I changed the fuse in the plug the Dremel worked perfectly, I can only assume that the CF dust from the cutting disc had got to the commutator and shorted the lot out. Thereafter I put the flexible drive on the Dremel to keep the commutator as far away from the dust as possible.
The second setback was that when I finally finished cutting off the surplus the component would not fit in its designed space in the triangular space behind and beneath the headstock. This was very odd because I checked the pattern before making the mould which was nicely snug but definitely fitted. The CF component produced fails to fit by about 1 to 2mm and there is no flexibility in the moulding to press fit it so the only option is to modify the mould and re-make it.
350TSS is offline   Reply With Quote