View Single Post
Old 09-05-2019, 09:01 PM   #924
350TSS
Too much time on my hands member

Bike: M900
Had a one of those funny days where you do not actually achieve much in the sense of moving things forward but you because you overcame a difficulty you do feel a sense of achievement. I started by trying to make progress on the chain oiler reservoir and the ignitech enclosure, both needed my CF “filler” rubbing down and it is clear that both will require at least one further cycle. The filler formed from EL2 laminating resin is very tough and the rubbing down was hard going, a file was the best tool to remove it as 240 wet and dry was getting nowhere fast. Also both parts will need to be painted as the finish is not good enough for the CF to be displayed. That took a couple of hours before I was thoroughly bored of filing/rubbing down.
I then turned my attention to making the Farraday cage for the ignitech enclosure. I thought I could knock this job off in an hour as I had some fine aluminium mesh about the right mesh size. My initial idea was to cut it to size and bond it in with a layer of resin.
But I very soon realised that because of the convoluted internal shape of the enclosure I was never going to get that mesh to fit inside the enclosure unless I immediately developed a new super sense, the ability to cut flat material accurately and form it to cover all the internal surfaces without gaps and without multiple patches. I next thought about glue-ing some aluminium foil inside but after a couple of attempts that was also a non- starter.
I remembered I had a long length of TV aerial cable in the loft of the garage salvaged from the house refurbishment and the next 3 hours were spent a) stripping the outer insulation layer off about 3.5meteres of the cable, 50mm at a time as any more and the insulation jammed against the copper screen b) removing the copper screening mesh intact, flattening it and spreading the copper screen to a tape about 10mm wide, c) stripping the bare copper earth out of some HD power cable d) soldering up a frame from this earth core that fitted inside the enclosure and then soldering the earth mesh to the wire frame. I did not quite finish before household responsibilities forced me out of the garage so no pictures yet. It will not be the most elegant looking cage but it is light in weight, removable easily and provides a continuous copper screen all around the inside of the enclosure and a second cage will be glued to the underside of the battery box which forms the lid of the enclosure.
350TSS is offline   Reply With Quote