View Single Post
Old 03-05-2019, 04:59 PM   #921
350TSS
Too much time on my hands member

Bike: M900
A small success today, I managed to separate the tank base from its mould. I worried a bit whether I was seeking to do it too early after only 3 laminations but in the end I was glad I did because it was flexible enough to come off relatively easily. The finish inside has a number of “milky” bits but overall not too bad.

Then the tank base was given another lamination with extra reinforcement around the mounting points. After that it was bonding the aluminium pipes into the the front half of the chain oiler reservoir and more rubbing down of repairs/modifications to those moulds where I previously had fails.
I have been pondering how to bond the two halves of the tank together and the chain oiler reservoir gives me an ideal opportunity to try something out. The EL2 laminating resin is incredibly strong but has the viscosity of runny honey so it will be difficult to keep it in the right place when I try bonding the two halves together. What I plan to do is chop up a load of the scrap CF into strands about 6mm long and mix it with the EL2 resin until it forms a thick paste with the consistency of body filler and hope that this will have sufficient tackiness to adhere to a vertical surface without sliding away from the joint to be bonded
350TSS is offline   Reply With Quote