View Single Post
Old 02-05-2019, 05:33 AM   #919
350TSS
Too much time on my hands member

Bike: M900
The tank base has now had 3 laminations of the more expensive CF. Given that the tank will hold about 5 gallons so 23 litres, and one litre of petrol weighs around 740g the tank will need to contain about 17kg of liquid (or 38.25 lbs in proper money) plus the weight of the tank itself say another 5 kg with filler cap and fuel tap I think I need another 3 laminations at least. I have an anxiety as to whether or not to take the part off the mould now whilst the CF is still relatively flexible and therefore has a good chance of being able to be separated or do I finish all 6 laminations before attempting removal. With it still on the mould I can really press down with the roller when laying up the CF which obviously gives it a much better chance of each lamination being properly bonded to the previous one.
Thinking about it as I write, the loading on the tank structure is/will be concentrated on the 4 mounting points so maybe I can get away with perhaps 4 laminations across the whole base but with significant reinforcement say another 3 or 4 laminations around the mounting points. If so the majority of the base will still be relatively flexible and therefore easy to remove. Once started with removal the harder reinforced bits should be able to be prised off. So for now my anxiety is temporarily allayed at least until I try and get the tank base off the mould.
I still have no real confidence in my plan of how to bond the top of the tank to the bottom and no idea at all of how to secure any internal baffles top and bottom when I put the two halves together. I could use those open cell foam blocks inserted through the filler cap after the tank is built to act as a baffle but they are expensive (at least £100) and given the convoluted shape of the tank it will not be easy to achieve even coverage of the blocks within the tank. In any event I quite like the idea of the tank having some internal structural support so the top skin is not too flexible.
Work continues with repairing the other smaller CF components, although my heart is not really in it as the quality of the end product will I suspect always be compromised. I started this project with the objective of doing the best I could and not bodging but to save time here I am bodging. I will give it another week and if the repaired bits are by then looking Ok then I will carry on, if not it is back to modifying or re-making the moulds and the components so that they come out acceptable cosmetically.
350TSS is offline   Reply With Quote