View Single Post
Old 20-03-2017, 05:33 PM   #5
Flip

Bike: M900
So once back from my trip I set about playing around with the geometry again to get it back to how I like- a couple of goes at raising the rear some more and then changing the head race bearings to ensure everything was perfect I got my sweet handling Monster back!

One thing I will say about the Michelins other than they appear to lasting very well is that I know people rave about their wet weather performance and don't get me wrong they do grip very well but there is something odd when braking quite hard that makes the bike feel a little 'squirmy' for want of a better term which I never experienced with the Pirellis- it may be that the geometry is a little more extreme now than it was with them but none the less a little concerning at times.

One point to note is that I have never bought, nor felt the need to fit the 'extra grippy' variants of any tyres being of the opinion that not only do they need more time to warm up they also cool down faster thus having less grip in real world road conditions.

So to finish, if I were buying tyres now, with the information and experiences I have had I think would be buying a pair of Pirelli Diablo Rosso II's which appear a very similar tread pattern to the old Diablo which although not a particularly exciting one (if you are bothered by such things), I suspect would suit the Monster very well- they also come in the correct 170 section for the rear too which is a bonus.