View Single Post
Old 24-05-2017, 05:46 PM   #7
Darren69
Transmaniacon MOC

Bike: Multiple Monsters
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Gazza View Post
I find that a little petrol in a take-away tub and an old 1/2" paintbrush works very well on the engine cases, covers and finned areas.
Put a bit of newspaper down under the engine first, and just work from the top down, mopping up the dirty petrol with a rag as you go.
A solvent de-greaser like Gunk or Jizer (if you can still get them?) is probably a bit more pc these days and you don't need to wipe it off as you go. Just rinse off with water when you have brushed and agitated it all over.

Once a year for a good engine clean down should be all you need

Don't be tempted to use a pressure washer on any part of your bike.. It's just a disaster.

For the areas starting to show signs of paint loss and white corrosion, a squirt and wipe with WD40 or some such will stop it going any further and take away the whiteness that makes it look so bad. Waxoyl is good too... Just a dab where it's needed.
I think you can still get 'Gunk' from Halfords and the like, they sell it in an aerosol and I would say its probably better and safer than sloshing petrol everywhere and it won't damage paint, WD40 is also good, Iv'e yet to try ACF50 but lots on here swear by it. WD40 is similar, just make sure not to spray in on brake disks and calipers.

And to re-iterate what Gazza said regarding pressure washing, just don't do it. Use it for cleaning your patio or car but not the bike. Jap bikes and BM's seem to be ok as I used to do my winter hacks with one, but Ducati don't like it and you will soon have electrical problems once you get water in there that won't dry out.

Termignoni and Bucci - Italian for pipe and slippers!

S4 Fogarty, S4R 07T, 748, Series 1 Mirage
Darren69 is offline   Reply With Quote