View Single Post
Old 11-09-2019, 02:22 PM   #997
350TSS
Too much time on my hands member

Bike: M900
I started yesterday with the intention of bonding the top and bottom halves of the tank together, but on close inspection of the last coat of ethanol resistant resin I found “holidays” in the coverage. I therefore had to mix up 40ml and apply it to the areas missed. Bonding together will have to wait until this second coat of Caswell’s finest cures.
The cured Caswell resin is very hard, shiny and clear and I am confident it is up to the job of sealing, if only I can be sure I can get it to all the crevices inside the tank once it is bonded together. I am leaning towards putting the resin pot into very hot water before mixing those batches that have to go in through the filler neck.
Attention then turned to the seat base front mounting and a block of oasis foam was shaped and bonded into place. The location of the forward forks (yet to be made in 10mm nylon) is determined by the positioning of the aluminium plate now bonded in. This is critical as the rear saddle clips do not quite give sufficient lateral strength to ensure the front of the seat cannot move about (the saddle clips are too close together along the frame tube - c 40mm apart). The nylon forks will have to engage with the frame bridge so that it is not possible for the front of the seat to move sideways. I hope I have got it right but will not know until the resin cures. The saddle clip mount also acquired another lamination.
350TSS is offline   Reply With Quote