Thread: My M750 Rebuild
View Single Post
Old 13-10-2015, 07:50 PM   #68
Taff666

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Gazza View Post

1. Going back to your question about the shock hitting the swinging arm.
If the engine is supported in the picture, and the shock is at full extention, then surely it can't hit the arm if it clears now....It will move away under compression..?

I reckon it got a knock during assembly?

2. Powder coating is looking very effective...Came within a gnats of doing my frame like that, but wasn't brave enough.
Did you see the mirror chrome coating that they do with colours dropped in?....You could get carried away...

3. Promise me you will be using a gel battery, like a Motobatt. Powder coating is chemical resistant and easy to keep clean. but I couldn't bear the thought of battery acid spilling on your frame.
Yo Mr G

1. I couldn't understand it. Everything was the same as before (when the shock didn't touch the cross member) except for the addition of the Luigi Moto bits, and the shoulder of the shock was deffo touching the square section cross member on the swinging arm.

I thought i might have put the shock in the wrong way round (180 degrees off) but it was even worse the other way.

As a draftsman I was going to draw a swept path diagram to try and understand what was going on (but have been so busy in work blah blah blah blah) Think about it, wheel gets pushed up as suspension compresses, then that movement gets passed, via the swinging arm and suspension hoop, to the rocker arm which has an unequal pivot point at the top of the system - which then compresses the shock onto the bottom shock mounting of the very same swinging arm that moved up in the first place when the suspension started being compressed!! it's feck ing mind bending for me!!

Anyhow, the bottom line is that when the suspension compresses it appears to slightly change the angle of the shock (leans more forward), and the extra height of the Luigi Moto risers exaggerated the effect to the point that the increased angle caused the "shoulder" at the bottom of the shock to come into contact with the square section cross member of the swinging arm.

Proof of pudding - shock no longer snags swinging arm without risers.

From reading posts here I know that these risers are popular and used by loads of people and I haven't read a single post where anyone else has come across this problem so I am beginning to think the problem is more likely to be something I have done wrong rather than anything wrong with the risers - or an outside chance that i've got some kind of mongrel bike (see frame spacers post above)

2. Aerocoat are brill, I was almost entranced by the chrome effect powder coat with multicolour metallic glitter flakes and opalescent lacquer over, but I'm not quite gay enough, and I don't live in Brighton.
Was originally going to do the swinging arm in black powder coat, but am now glad I went for the full bling effect.

3. Gel battery will be used although I might use an old Fazer 1000 battery I have lying around here to get it started (and probably burn out after 4 charges in 24 hours!) for the first time in 6 years!

Albie

Earth lead now connected properly (honest) pic to prove to follow.

Recently saw a thread where the guy had blanked off the oil cooler bypass feed to the carbs - can anyone point me to that please?

Thanks to all for your help