View Single Post
Old 12-08-2019, 03:03 PM   #971
350TSS
Too much time on my hands member

Bike: M900
Some while ago before I trimmed the scoops down to fit properly inside the frame I spent a couple of hours making 12 x 1mm aluminium plates to hold them. Yesterday, I thought I would bond them in place but since trimming them they no longer fit, I tried modifying them but the first one just looked like a modified non fitting part. They cannot be seen but they just looked horrible. As a replacement I came up with these,
key bank atm locations

10mm sq cable clips with the masonry nail removed and the a 5mm hole drilled and the tail of the enclosure removed. They are super light, allow minor adjustment of the positioning of the scoops and with a small rectangle of bicycle inner tube glued to the scoop, vibration resistant. I wish they were available in black.
On a similar theme of time wasted in the past I have come to the conclusion that the seat base which I spent about 3 days elongating by 50mm would be better looking in profile and the hump would better serve its purpose if it was its original length. Additionally the interface with the rear of the tank particularly widthways should look less DIY.
I have been researching bonding agents for the tank as I think my home brewed resin with finely chopped CF could turn out to be a really messy during application. Positioning the tank base inside the top when dry takes about 20 minutes before I get the depth of the base within the top even all the way round, if the edges are all covered in gloopy resin I can see it going everywhere and taking lots more time to position. Unfortunately the stuff offered by Easy Composites specifically for structural bonding comes in a 50ml self mixing one hit syringe tube which cures in 10 minutes which in my application just will not work. I need an adhesive more viscous than Araldite, that will sit as a bead on a vertical surface without running away and that has a working time of about 40 minutes before it goes off. Obviously it needs to be impervious and petrol resistant (ideally ethanol resistant).
350TSS is offline   Reply With Quote