View Single Post
Old 26-07-2019, 05:36 PM   #44
utopia
No turn left unstoned

Bike: M750
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkness View Post
I’m struggling with your description of countersteering that produces gyroscopic precession of the front wheel rather than turning of the forks?

I think in terms of steady state, then action and corresponding reaction with imbalance of forces or moments producing accelerations (Change of speed and/or direction of travel).

Can you expand on that please?

What I'm trying to say here is that my understanding of countersteering is that it occurs when a turning moment is applied to the forks, but that the outcome of that turning moment is not that the forks actually turn at all, but instead the wheel banks into the turn ... instantaneously.
I don't see this as being divisible into a separate "cause" and a subsequent "consequence" but rather as one single mechanism.
In other words, the wheel doesn't first turn, and then bank as a consequence of that initial turn. It banks as a direct and immediate consequence of the input which attempts, but fails, to turn the steering.

Though reading my earlier post, that's pretty much what I said last time so I dunno whether it helps.

I still haven't studied the other stuff yet ... sorry.
I'm felling a giant Leylandii in my garden and it demands full attention.
These are teabreak responses, but I will certainly study everything in detail at some stage.
utopia is offline   Reply With Quote