View Single Post
Old 18-07-2019, 11:03 PM   #966
350TSS
Too much time on my hands member

Bike: M900
I started today with a list of 12 things I wanted to complete. The first was to drill 2 x 8.5mm the holes in the instrument support so that it could be bolted to the bottom of the top yoke.
When I made the 6mm instrument support plate and bent it I had not finished the headlamp side support plates nor the plate that holds my rotating connector device. Inevitably they clashed and 2 hours later after much filing and fettling the plate was mounted. The original planned positioning did not and will not work so it had to be projected forward about 20mm, a benefit in that the instruments will move closer to my eye line, but a potential problem in that the top most mount to the fly-screen may have to be lost.

The second job obviously started an hour and a half late, this was to drill the headlamp side support plates to take the headlamp. Positioning of these two holes is fairly critical if the headlamp is to point in the right direction and have the cut off on dipped beam parallel with the ground. For me there is an added complication in that the headlamp bezel should partially protrude through the fly screen. The fly screen mould has an 8 inch headlamp sized flat surface on the front and the bottom edge of the fly screent should align with a line 10mm below the bottom of the lower fork yoke. So these two 8.5mm holes need to be positioned right in 3 axis.
From a first look it was evident that the headlamp is barely going to reach the fly screen so fore and aft positioning was Hobson’s choice, i.e. the holes have to be as far forward as they can go whilst still giving something for the headlamp flanged nut something to bite on.
As for up and down positioning there will be an ability to adjust the fit with the fly screen and I do not think it will matter if the screen itself is up or down by 10mm either way.
Given this circumstance the only thing to worry about was ensuring that the axis of the two bolts were parallel with the floor. I put some masking tape on the two plates and then played around with a spirit level and worked out the positioning of the two holes to be drilled and drilled them. All the while the frame was sitting on top of my home made blast cabinet, on the clear perspex lid to be precise. After I had drilled the holes I realised the perspex lid was about half a bubble on the spirit level out of horizontal. Bloody annoying, more haste less speed, I shall probably be able to massage the mounting to be square.

Next I cut out the seat hump pad and made it fit onto the seat base. Fettling it to get the raised portion to fit the aperture in the seat took about 2 hours. I just need to get the spring for the Dzuz fastener and countersunk pop rivet it to the seat base.

Next I removed all the blistered CF on the inside of the fly screen, tearing it off with my fingers until I reached the point where the lamination was properly adhered.
Finally I trimmed the tank top roughly and started to rub it down. I only managed about half the things I planned to do but progress nevertheless
350TSS is offline   Reply With Quote