View Single Post
Old 10-08-2019, 09:39 AM   #34
Flip

Bike: M900
Quote:
Originally Posted by LVC View Post
Thank you .... that now makes much more sense and I'm wondering whether it was a retrofit/modification done at the dealers rather than the factory .... judging by the state of the soldering ?

That's interesting .... so from now on I should shut her down with the kill switch ?

and probably best to put another diode back into the same place and same orientation?

The text stamp on mine reads "6A05" which seems to correspond to diodes I've found on ebay for about £4 for x5
Personally I would try and prise the yellow cover off the General Relay to have a look at what goes on before worrying about it- it certainly doesn’t seem to affect all bikes. I only found it because soon after buying my bike it seemed to eat relays. A couple of ‘bleed resistors’ can solve the issue but that’s a whole ‘nother thing.

But yes I would definitely look at getting the diode back in the circuit somewhere- they are cheap enough but if you have trouble let me know- we’ve probably got some at work. In addition I would use some heat shrink sleeve over it to give it a little more protection.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemantsdad View Post
Hi, from the Handbook, " Warning- this switch is mainly intended for use in emergencies when you need to stop the engine quickly"
Yeah that’s simply because in an ‘emergency’ your fingers are a lot closer to the kill switch than they are fumbling around with the ignition key.

The ignition switch is simply a way of making turning it on and off secure so only the owner (in an ideal World) can operate it- many old classic bikes (along with competition machines) don’t have keys.

Last edited by Flip; 10-08-2019 at 09:42 AM..
Flip is offline   Reply With Quote