View Single Post
Old 18-07-2022, 03:50 PM   #9
spuggy

Bike: M900sie
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Gazza View Post
Next is to use the correct torque on the tensioner quadrant bolts. I know the torque in my head but I won't put anything in print without checking the book. I personally never use thread lock on those and I'm not alone.
Job done and buttoned up, ready to tip in some fresh fuel as soon as I can make it into the garage and wheel it out without expiring from heat exhaustion in a puddle... I refused the temptation to fire it up until I confirmed the torque number I used on the tensioner bolts.

Just could not see it for looking in the PDF, but the dead-tree 1999 M900 workshop manual (anyone ever seen a 2000-2001 dead tree version? Been keeping an eye open for years and never seen one in English...) gives 26nm, or a smidge over 20 ft/lbs for the M8x1.25 tensioner bolts. Which was, after rejecting obviously stoopid outliers, what the internet had said. And what I used.

I do note the manual gives exactly the same figure for the M8x1.0 fixed tensioner stud, which later models seem to have revised downwards somewhat,... And also says I can't do the job without the Ducati tension gauge and the special tool to move the idler, LOL...

The fixed stud is spec'd for thread lock in later manuals, apparently. Probably because of the lower torque spec and the coarse thread.

Last edited by spuggy; 18-07-2022 at 06:52 PM.. Reason: Duh, fat-fingered the thread pitch. Never seen M8/1.5...
spuggy is offline   Reply With Quote