View Single Post
Old 15-04-2014, 12:01 PM   #16
utopia
No turn left unstoned

Bike: M750
Just a thought....how badly have you "ploughed" the discs ?
Is there any chance at all that they're still actually usable ?
They might look visibly marked but if you're lucky it may still just be surface scratches which don't actually affect braking performance very much.
I'm wondering if you could just try new pads to start with (fitted yourself) and see how they work, before shelling out on new discs.
What's to lose ?

Similarly, belt changes are pretty easy on a 2-valve motor.
You could save there by doing those yourself too.
....and leave the valve clearances until their scheduled check at 7,500.
You could even consider checking those yourself too, as checking alone is reasonably straightforward ....its the subsequent adjustment which is more tricky, but you may find that none is needed......mine were ok at that mileage on my 750.
Suddenly you're saving the best part of £800.

I guess that the problem with braking in heavy traffic is that your feet might not get chance to even get on the footpegs between stops, making the front brakes easier to get to.
A conscious effort to ride feet-up as soon as possible may help.
To be honest, the bike will probably feel more stable if you use the rear brake to balance the throttle and steady the bike rather than the fronts, which in turn makes feet-up riding easier.
Perhaps a more relaxed throttle technique will reduce the need for braking too.
Or, thinking slightly outside the box, how about fitting a thumb operated rear brake control (with the money you might save on the discs) ? ....I don't speak from experience here though and probably wouldn't do it myself, preferring to modify my braking habits instead.
utopia is offline   Reply With Quote